Sunday, August 3, 2008

Fallen Hero


I work with an amazing team of people at Hendersonville NC Social Security. Many of us are personal friends off the job and we care very much about each other as people in addition to working as a well oiled machine on the job. We know how to get things done and complement each other in our strengths and weakness. In short, it is the best group of people, that I have ever worked with in my government career.

One of the universally loved and respected members of that team recently passed away and it has tremendously impacted all of us who loved and respected him. Roger Parker is also known as 1st Sgt Roger Parker and returned from a tour of duty in Iraq just a little more than a year ago. We missed Roger for over a year as he was taken to active duty and deployed to the front lines. Roger was always on our minds as we prayed each day and remembered fond times with our friend and co-worker. The guys at work took Roger to The Outback Steakhouse for his send off and promised to take him there again on his return.

While Roger was in Iraq, we regularly sent him care packages from home with all kinds of goodies and supplies that he may otherwise be doing without. Each package was thoughtfully prepared and sent with the hope he would be blessed by receiving it. When Roger returned, he told me that that package was always a highlight of his week. I laughed as he told me how he took a jar of my Sourwood Knoll honey to the mess hall in his pocket. He was not supposed to take anything into the mess hall, but he bent that rule to enjoy my fresh raw honey on his bread. It made me feel good to know that I could at least provide that small pleasure for a man that had made such a sacrifice to serve my country.

We had Roger back for less than a year when he passed away too young at only 41. He will be missed as a great co-worker who always carried his load, a friend who always had time to talk to people and a people person who loved to share a laugh. I somehow, in my mind, expected Roger to come back in to work until his funeral. At that moment my mind finally resolved that shock and disbelief about his death with the fact he is gone. I felt guilt because I had not been able to find the time to take him back out to eat though we had discussed it. I guess I learned there are no guarantees in life and we should never put off until tomorrow what we could do today. Roger may never know how much he meant to us all, but he was special in that every person in our office had a universal respect and fondness for him.

1st Sgt Roger Parker, you will be missed by everyone who knew you May you be at peace and may we all see you again in a happier place of joy and celebration. Until then, we will all have Roger shaped hole in our souls. We still have our memories and respect for you to hold onto until then.

No comments: