Sunday, August 1, 2010

Summer Camp











I spent the week of July 19th at SUMMER CAMP! Yes, you heard me correctly. I never had that opportunity growing up, so I decided to give camp counselor a try. I was a counselor at Laurel Ridge senior high Moravian youth camp. This camp is located on the continental divide in the Blue Ridge Mountains near Laurel Springs NC. Milepost 251 in the Bluffs district of the Blue Ridge Parkway is overlooked by the camp. This is the area of the Parkway where I was a ranger for a while back in 1984.

The camp is celebrating its 50th year and is indeed a treasure of a piece of property. The camp event was a spiritual treasure. Words can not describe the experience, but my faith in the future for our youth was greatly expanded. Much of the music we sang was familiar because it was Vineyard music. I had a wonderful worship experience as well as a renewing in my soul. The food was great, I met wonderful new friends and I saw young men and women making spiritual growth as they are beginning their journey into adulthood.

I have already put everyone on notice, next year I will be back if at all possible. I hope to take Mackenzie with me to experience this wonderful place. If you are looking a great place for your young person to camp next summer, I highly recommend it. Google Laurel Ridge Moravian Camp.

No comments: