Monday, May 26, 2008

Bee Removal


A couple of weeks ago, my friend Lyne called me to let me know about a bee removal from a lady's house. I called and made arrangements to take a look. After work I headed out to the Fletcher area and found a very nice and athletic looking lady, named Christie, had a bee problem. Christie was prepared with a long extension ladder, screw drivers, and a couple of step ladders that I needed since I came straight from work and had none of these things.

Christie assisted me in deciding exactly where the bees were located. I saw an interest in her eyes so I took time to educate her about bees as I looked. At first I thought the bees may be in the eve of the house. Removal of a vent and a quick look inside showed that to not be the case. I could not hear bees in the wall and went inside to again hear no bees. A look at the entrance hole made it appear the bees went straight back into the house from the vent just below the eve. This vent was to small to see much, and I decided to go inside and take a look in the attic. As I went up into the attic, I noticed this house had once had a flat roof then later a pitched roof had been added. I knew then where that little vent hole went. It was to vent the space between the ceiling and the flat roof. A quick look around in the attic showed this to be where the bees had to be.

I told Christie that I could remove those bees, but really did not have the time. I also told her they would have to be removed from inside the house. I really needed a bee vacuum to do the job and I would have to borrow one. I told Christie if she was game for removing the sheet rock in the area where the bees were, I would leave her a bee suit and veil I happened to have in the car. She said her and a friend would expose the bees and I could come take them out. I agreed if she would do that and repair the damage I would not charge her for removal.

I must admit, I was quit taken by the spunk this lady has. She seems to be a take charge person that is not afraid of a little adventure. I talked to her a little about bees and some things I am doing with bees and gave her my card. I told her to call me when she got the bees exposed and I would come over and get them out. I also told her once they were exposed she may need to close off that room until I could get them.

I went on vacation for a week, and got a call from Christie that the bees were exposed. She and a friend had cut out a section of sheet rock and some bees came down on them. They closed off the room and called me. I told her I could not get to it for a few days and she was quite alright with that. On Memorial Day, I called Christie and she was fine with me doing the removal. She asked when I would want to do it and I told her when I could be there. She said that will work out perfectly.

I called my friend Darrell to borrow his bee vacuum and he said, "no problem, can you mark a queen for me while you are here"? I said, "no problem". I marked Darrell's queen and loaded his bee vacuum, which by the way is an excellent prototype he should have patented, and headed off to Christies.

I got to Christies and she came to the door in her NC Highway Patrol uniform. I had timed it just perfectly with the end of her shift and we quickly headed to the bee room. I had to cut a little more sheet rock out to be able to work, and Christie hauled in step ladders, a flashlight a pry bar and a much needed bottle of water. Things quickly got hot and I made mention of how warm I was getting and next thing I knew I had a fan blowing on me. I love working for people like that. Christie was a "trooper" for sure, because she stayed and assisted me with the whole thing. She put on the bee veil I had provided and helped to vacuum up bees and even got a bowl to salvage a little Locust honey. YUM! Christie was surprised at how tasty the honey was and I had my share too! I left her a bowl of Locust honey comb and she stuck a sock in the vent hole as I vacuumed up all the remaining bees after the comb had been cut out. I told Christie it was ready to seal up and rounded up my tools and the brood comb I had carefully placed in a bucket.

I talked to Christie a moment before I left and told her how impressed I was at the way she jumped right in to work in the bees. What else could I expect from one of NCSHP's finest? I then told her she needed to become a beekeeper! She has an interest and I expect I will see her at our next bee school. She seemed interested in my fainting goats and declared she was coming out to see them. I love to meet new friends and it seems my bee keeping activities always allow that. Christie is a great gal and I hope she does not get too discouraged cleaning up all that mess I left. I suspect, before too long, the hole in the ceiling will be repaired good as new.

I got home with the bees and banded the comb into a shallow super. It was the best size for the comb and it actually fit perfectly. I dumped the bees into the super of brood comb and almost immediately smelled the welcome home scent of the nasonov pheromone's lemony smell being fanned about. They are attaching that comb as we speak. And best of all, Darrell's bee vacuum did not kill a single bee that I could find.

A good day indeed! Now, I just hope to not meet Christie on her home turf patrolling the interstate. At least I am careful about the speed as I go to work, so hopefully our next meeting will be to laugh at the fainting goats as they fall over when startled.

No comments: