Thursday, May 8, 2008

Jack of All Trades



I do lots of things, not sure I do that many well, but I learned from my dad that we can surprise our self if we just give things a try. My dad could truly do almost anything. I catch myself falling into that slot a lot. I will try most anything and I usually can get a pretty fair job done on most things I try.

I have this friend at work that knows I do lots of things. One day he was asking me about a tile project he had priced for his basement. He asked me if I thought the price was fair and I said it was. ...Then I said but we can do it for less than half that price. He sort of looked at me and said you can do tile? I said it is not that hard. I did my dining room a couple of years ago and it worked out great. He asked me to look at it and give him a price. I did and told him a very fair price if he would help me. We did it over the course of a half day Saturday and 4 evenings after work. We had a total of about 10 hours in the project and it turned out great. I created a monster! Now Alfredo has started doing projects and asks me to do all kinds of things he can not do.

Alfredo recently asked me to make a flag frame for a special larger sized flag his wife has and wanted it for Mother's Day. I got it done tonight and it turned out OK, but I wish I had more time to do a better job. But, Hey! I am not a flag frame maker. It is solid oak and it was cut on this property milled by me and my father and dried in a pile here too. I planed and sawed it and if I do say so myself, it turned out OK. If you think you can do something you probably can and if you think you can not, you are defeated before you start.

No comments: