Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Enjoying A Homemade Sandwich


A truly great sandwich needs truly great ingredients. Fresh bread of your favorite type is a must for a great sandwich. A main ingredient that is one of your favorite foods is the next thing that is required for the sandwich to be great for you. What ever your favorite condiment is, liberal amounts but not too much make for a great sandwich. Secondary items can be added and subtracted as your mood, or availability allow. To really enjoy a great sandwich, you need to be alone. A great sandwich may taste great, but rarely is it fun to watch someone eat a juicy sandwich chock full of often colorful and runny ingredients. Don't forget the napkins, because you will need them if the sandwich is anything like I have in mind. Wet napkins, or access to a sink to wash up is a real plus if it can be arranged. To be honest, I often eat my juicy sandwiches right over the sink and just wash up when I am done. I have to plan this sink feast to coincide with the rest of my family being out of the room for a few minutes, or they will be yelling at my manners.

One of my all time favorite sandwiches is the banana sandwich my grand mother used to make for me. It is best with very fresh white bread, liberal amounts of fresh cold mayonnaise on both slices, liberal amounts of cane sugar spread over the mayonnaise, a fresh banana, that has just lost the green and is still firm without the spots, should be sliced lengthwise and placed on one slice of bread. The other slice should be placed on top and the delight to your taste buds is unimaginable. This sandwich is best if washed down with a tall glass of very cold milk or chocolate milk.

I love summer because that is when I get to enjoy one of my other favorite sandwiches. Fresh homegrown and vine ripened tomatoes are a must for this sandwich to be best. Two slices of fresh white bread are needed first. Take the bread and liberally spread fresh cold mayonnaise on both slices. Cross slice several slices of tomato onto one slice and put the top on. This is one of those country delights that needs to be eaten over the sink if possible. You will need to clean up after wards for sure. I sometimes lightly toast the bread first and if you like, you can substitute ranch dressing or your favorite salad dressing for the mayonnaise. If I am really hungry, I will add a slice of melted cheese or even some ham. To be honest, the tomato is the main ingredient even with ham involved. I have tried cucumbers on this sandwich also and it is very good too. When fresh tomatoes are not available, I have substituted cucumbers for tomatoes. Cucumbers are good and will do, but tomatoes are something that I can actually think of and almost drool over the thoughts.

Summertime is a great time to cook out, and hamburgers are one of my favorite sandwiches. A truly great hamburger needs a thick juicy burger cooked well until no pink is left. The bun should be fresh with sesame seeds and plenty of mayonnaise, mustard and ketchup on it. A crisp fresh piece of lettuce adds a nice touch, but the crowning touch of a great summer cookout hamburger is the fresh home grown vine ripened tomato. It adds that wonderful touch to the hamburger that I enjoy in a plain tomato sandwich. Here again, don't forget the napkins and try to get off by yourself to enjoy this juicy delight.

What ever your favorite sandwich is, don't be afraid to experiment a bit with other ingredients that you also like. You will find that you will come up with new favorites and the variety will only add to your sandwich dining enjoyment. I have to go now, I need to make a nice banana sandwich and pour a tall glass of milk.

No comments: